Tuesday, July 15, 2014

more parent(player) shenanigans!

So, notice in that last post how, when the player is in an enterable container, DescribePlace doesn't do a good job of specifying which objects are outside the container, what with all of those "this-and-that is here" messages?  Doesn't that bother you?  It bothered me!

So, the next thing I worked on was making that stuff get listed better when the player is in a container.  Here's what the final product looks like:



Currently, my code doesn't do anything with platforms, because while "So-and-so is here on the couch." sounds nice, what do you say for the the things NOT on the couch?  The best I could come up with is "is also in the room." or something, but it'd have to be easily changeable for all of the instances where the room is not a "room" (say, an open space or what have you).

Anyhow, as much as I like the idea of games sounding smarter, this isn't going to go into Roodylib at this point, either.  In the meantime, you can look at the code that I wrote to do it (important stuff is highlighted):



Maybe not the easiest stuff in the world to read, but if any of you want any help getting something like this working in your game, just let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment