Saturday, July 7, 2012

that menu thing

Ok, so yesterday, my prime coding time was spent at a coffee house where my laptop didn't have a lot of privacy. In such scenarios, being a full grown man (fuller than I'd like, even), I don't like people to see that I am obviously working on a game. As my current WIP has cover art and music and looks much too "game-like", I jumped right into working on that menu thing right away, as I basically knew everything I wanted to do and could spend most of my time in my text editor.

Doing the auto-generating thing was easy. The hard part (which I got to today) was writing the rest of the menu, which was the "About Hugo" and "How to Play Interactive Fiction" sections. Anyhow, I just finished working on it for today. Some of it needs to be completely rewritten; the current "About Hugo" page reads: Hugo is an interactive fiction authoring system written by Kent Tessman. It supports graphics and music!. The "What is interactive fiction?" page could use a lot of work, too, and honestly, everything probably needs some smoothing over.

Still, I'm pretty pleased with how it came out. You can take a look at it yourself by downloading the file at http://roody.gerynarsabode.org/notdead/colortest.hex. Inside the game, type "ABOUT".

The third option in the first menu is the auto-generated one. It has two groups of commands in there, based on the fact that colortext.hex was compiled with colorlib.h and cheaplib.h.

Anyhow, feel free to give me your thoughts or provide me with a nice, professional sounding "About Hugo" page or something. I should get all of the updated files uploaded in the next day or so. After that, it'll just be a matter of writing Hugo by Example pages that cover all of the new stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment