Thursday, July 5, 2012

how suite it is

Of course, every time I look at one of my library extensions, I usually twiddle with this or that, so it's hard to promise that anything is done or complete (it'd help if my code was more foolproof). Just the same, I've got the "roodylib" library in a place that I'm happy with it. I wrote up some documentation and threw in some optional libraries in the form of "colorlib" and "cheaplib". I also included a roodylib-optimized shell file.

All in all, some aspects of "roodylib" are still too fiddly for my tastes, but oh well. I hope it's good enough that I can put it down for a while. Anyways, you can download the "roodylib suite" at http://roody.gerynarsabode.org/notdead/roodylib_suite.zip

Next library-related thing I'll do is that auto-generating help menu thing I talked about (which, unfortunately, will require an update to roodylib, I'm sure), but before that, I mean to actually work on game-writing for a little bit (game writing seems so much less fun sometimes).

2 comments:

  1. You've even managed to add an extra layer to the parser. Wow.

    I hadn't known that Mike Snyder had made an improvement in AssignPronoun to allow for non-gendered NPCs (well, I hadn't known until I downloaded the previous version of roodylib). I'm hoping to use that to fix the pronoun problem I was having with the robot NPC in "World Builder."

    I'm also really excited about SpecialKey and StatusType4. I've always wanted to add an extra option after winning the game, but I never had enough motivation to figure out how to do it, since there were always other things to work on.

    I'm not so sure if I'm sold on the new shell, because the traditional init routine works for me, despite looking overly complicated. However, I can see how having an itemized organization allows for more intuitive customization. It just looks a little foreign to me right now.

    Thanks again for doing all this. I will look forward to seeing your Hugo game, eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure which layer in particular you're talking about, but that reminds me- I'd recommend compiling with HUGOFIX and turning on parser monitoring ($pm) in-game. Then, try various commands with misunderstood words or with phrases within quotation marks. The parse$-printing code should be a lot more useful now than before.

      Yeah, I can't guarantee the new shell will be useful to everybody. I'd say its strongest argument is that it tries to force an order of things, which is important for some Hugo elements to function properly. Still, one can never be sure if his sense of organization will just seem unintuitive to others. A couple posts ago, I wanted to write some metaphorical thing about how I wasn't sure if my additions are fortifications or just sand castles. It's very possible I'll feel very different about things tomorrow or the day after that.

      And thanks, I look forward to seeing my game, too!

      Delete