Wednesday, July 27, 2016

some progress summer

Since the last post, I helped that friend with that problem (GAME'S LOOKING GOOD, JIZ) and made some Roodylib progress (fixed some bugs, redesigned some stuff, and incorporated one or two new extensions).  I have an out-of-town friend coming in this week, and I'd been meaning to recompile all of my old games with my default menu code and just try to make them look as consistent as possible.

I've actually been meaning to do this for years, but this friend really doesn't know anything about IF so I kept putting it off because I wanted the consistency between games to be perfect...  and honestly, I usually like to give a middle finger to perfection.  It's too damn  hard to finish projects in the first place.

Still, applying something like Roodylib to old code is always interesting.  It's getting to the point where the library application is a lot more seamless than it used to be, and I even found the culprit in my update to Christopher Tate's "converse" extension that was keeping it from working straight out of the box.  That's been irking me for years, but now that it's fixed, my version is just about ready for public release, I think.

Anyhow, despite all of that Roodylib work, I'm getting to the point where I feel I need to give more attention to my WIPs.  One disappointment was the reminder that all of them are missing some big mid-game chunk of design.  The plan is to sit down with some flowchart software one day and stare at the screen until inspiration strikes.

But hey, it's summer and the days are beautiful, so it's been hard to make IF a priority.  Have to enjoy these few months of sun and warmth that we get, so I'm trying to get out as much as possible.  Frolicking, even.

So much frolicking.

Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Roodylib 4.1.2

I'm several months late in helping someone code a scene in their game, so me being me, that means I went and got Roodylib ready for a new release!  SORRY, JIZ!

The three main elements of this new update are:

  • Incorporated the accessibility code mentioned one or two posts back into Roodylib and made them available by default.  I may add another accessibility feature at some point- some kind of spelling system for uncommon words (as discussed on the forums)
  • Code supporting Nikos Chantziaras' Hugor opcodes system
  • Incorporated "newmenu.h" into Roodylib so one doesn't have to include the extra file.  I added mouseclick support to menus sometime within the last handful of months, too.